Voice of Sport

Tanzania, Djibouti happy with first leg U-20 qualifying performance

At Kenyatta Stadium, Machakos, home team Kenya fail to find breakthrough against visiting team

TANZANIA’S Under-20 men’s soccer team were happy with the 0-0 draw with Kenya in Machakos on Sunday and looked forward to progress in the Africa Youth Championship qualifiers.

The return of the first round tie will now take place in Dar es Salaam where the Tanzanians requires a 1-0 victory to qualify directly.

In other encounters involving Cecafa [Council of East and Central African Football Associations] teams, Ethiopia best Seychelles 2-0 in Seychelles while Djibouti at home held Burundi 1-1.


At El Haji Hassan Guled National Stadium on Friday, striker Yabeh Idriss gave Djiboutians a 13 minute lead and the home team held on to it and dominated the entire half.

In the early minutes of the second half Burundi intensified their attempts to compensate for the goal, but it took to them up to 76th to equalise through striker Kevin Raoul.

The return in the Burundian capital Bujumbura will be on April 26.

Good performance

Meanwhile, President Souleiman Hassan Waberi of the Djibouti FA congratulated his team for putting up a good performance against the highly rated Burundi side.

“In football you can expect victory, draw or defeat, but I am happy with how well my youngsters played today and hopeful they will do much better in Bujumbura.”

At Kenyatta Stadium, Machakos the Tanzanian visitors showed commitment to attack right away and after winning a free kick just outside the box in the first minute after Michael Kyalo had fouled Abbas Mudaviri just outside the box, the shot went wide.


On the other end Kenya soon got a chance and John Nairuka found Kyalo inside the visitors’ box with a good pass in the 10th minute but Kyalo was flagged  offside.

The Kenyans also had a free kick award after Evans Maliachi was fouled just outside the box by Tanzanian defender Iddi Ali but the hosts’ kick hit the wall.

The visitors won a corner at the quarter hour mark, Arthunus Mudamu took it but Kenya goalie Faruk Shikalo did well to clear.

Perfect cross

Tanzania’s Iddi Ali continued to be a threat and delivered a perfect cross that found Mudamu in the box but his goal-bound shot was blocked by Geoffrey Shiveka.

The visitors were forced to make an early change after Rayton Mukalala was injured in the 22nd minute and was replaced by Ahmed Ibrahim but they continued to enjoy more possession. They could have taken the lead in the 38th minute but Shikalo in the Kenyan goal did well to deny Arthunus Mudamu.

Kenya’s Victor Ndinya wasted a glorious chance in the 42nd minute after he was put through by the impressive Kyalo, only for his low shot to be saved by Tanzania ‘keeper Aishi Munala.

Second half

Kenya wasted another good chance to get the first goal in the 47th minute after Abraham Garibu fouled Kyalo just outside the box. Kyalo took the free kick and found Nairuka unmarked but he headed wide.

The home side won a free kick just outside the Tanzania box after Timothy Ludda was fouled by Garibu. Sammy Mejja’s shot was however punched back into the field of play by the alert Tanzania ‘keeper Manula.

Hard shot

Kenya coach John Kamau introduced Dennis Nandwa for Victor Ndinya in the 82nd minute in an obvious attempt to boost his forward line but it was Tanzania who almost pulled the first trigger with a swift counter attack few minutes later, Mudamu finding Idi Ali with a good through ball but the latter’s hard shot was blocked by Shikalo.

With four minutes to go, Patilah Omoto released the ball to the on running  Nairuka but the latter’s hard shot was cleared off the line by Abbas Mudaviri. Omoto was rested a minute later, Amos Asembeka taking his place.

Nairuka’s header deep in the extra time was punched away by Manula, the  game ending in a barren draw.

Other results:

Djibouti 1-1 Burundi

Kenya 0-0 Tanzania

Seychelles 0-2 Ethiopia

Malawi 1-1 Botswana

Mozambique 2-1 Namibia

Swaziland 0-3 Lesotho

Sierra Leone 1-0 Guinea

Niger 2-0 Congo

Tunisia 3-0 Mauritania

– Additional reporting by Shafi’i Mohyaddin Abokar, Cecafa  Media Committee